Victim and Witness Services
This page provides information on Victims Services, the Victim Witness Assistance Program and a helpful
step-by-step Victim and Witness Guide for victims and witnesses of contact crime.
VICTIM SERVICES LANARK COUNTY (VCARS)
Victim Services Lanark County is a free, community-based service working in partnership with police open to males and females of all ages.
We are a 24 / 7 agency utilizing specially trained staff and volunteers that work together to provide immediate, confidential short-term crisis intervention services, practical assistance, information, referrals and emotional support to persons affected by crime, tragedy and / or disaster.
Requests for services may include (but not limited to) such occurrences as:
- Sudden Death, Homicide (including attempted), Suicide, Human Trafficking, Break & Enters, Home Invasions, Robbery, Physical Assault, Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, Child Abuse, Elder Abuse, Stalking & Harassment, Fire, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Disaster or Tragic Circumstance.
Some of the programs / services we offer include Crisis Intervention, Safety Planning, V.Q.R.P. (Victim Quick Response Program), I.C.E. (Internet Child Exploitation), Referrals, and Information & Support.
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (Closed on statutory Holidays).
91 Cornelia Street West, Unit 109, Smiths Falls, ON
Phone: 613-284-8380 or Toll Free: 1-866-575-0067
24/7 on scene assistance can only be provided through police request.
Community and self-referrals please call the office line.
VICTIM WITNESS ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (VWAP)
The Victim Witness Assistance Program (VWAP) aims to provide assistance and support to victims and witnesses of crime
in order to improve their understanding of, and participation in, the criminal justice system. Services offered by the
VWAP include: crisis intervention, needs assessment, referrals to community agencies, emotional support, case-specific
information, court preparation and court orientation. VWAP staff are specially trained to work with child victims and
victims of sexual and domestic assault. The VWAP program is available to all victims, but services are provided on a
priority level to victims that are most traumatized by crime.
For more information about the Victim Witness Assistance Program:
- Call the provincial Victim Support Line at 1-888-579-2888
- Call the Lanark County office at: 613-264-8387
VICTIM AND WITNESS GUIDE
Here is a step by step guide with valuable information that victims and witnesses of contact crime may find helpful.
- Seek Immediate Medical and Police Aid
- Your Involvement with the Police
- Seek Advice and Ongoing Assistance
3.1 Victim Witness Assistance Program (VWAP)
3.2 Victim Support Line (VSL)
3.3 Sexual Assault / Rape
Crisis Centers (SAC)
3.4 Interval House
3.5 Emergency Legal Advice
3.7 Child Witnesses
- Information About the Criminal Justice System
- Making Your Views Known
- Going to Court
- The trial is finished, now what?
- The offender has become eligible for parole. What can I do?
CRIME STOPPER TIPS
FRAUDS AND SCAMS