Male arrested for firearms related offences
On Tuesday November 2, 2021, at approximately 3:41 a.m., police received a call to attend the area of Sussex Street, for a report of a possible gun shot. Investigation revealed that 34 year old, Dusty Mervin BELL, of Carleton Place, had discharged a firearm striking an unoccupied parked vehicle and made threats towards another male known to him. The vehicle sustained damage as a result.
On Thursday November 4, 2021 at approximately 10:15 a.m., with the assistance of the OPP Repeat Offender Parole Enforcement (ROPE) Squad, BELL was located and placed under arrest and held for a bail hearing.
BELL stands charged with the following:
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm x2
- Knowledge of unauthorized possession of a firearm x2
- Occupant of a motor vehicle knowing a firearm present x2
- Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose x2
- Carless use of a firearm
- Using a firearm while committing an offence
- Mischief under $5000.00
- Uttering threats to cause bodily harm
- Possession of a firearm contrary to a prohibition order x4
- Fail to comply with Undertaking release conditions x2
- Fail to comply with Probation Order release conditions x2
***The charges in these matters have not been proven in court***
The Smiths Falls Police Service urges anyone with further information regarding this incident, or similar incidents, to contact our service at 613-283-0357. Information may be provided anonymously by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).